Pages

August 14, 2011

People always want what they can't have...

As I talked about this earlier, unlike Europeans or North Americans Asian women try to maintain white and pure looking skin. I was looking at a couple commercials to show you...



Mostly, I just find it amusing how some parts of the world have so much sunshine and all the people do is try to become as pale as possible, while especially here in Germany (as well as in other "white" countries) everybody tries to get a nice tan to avoid looking sick and pale - like the teenagers who would go to the swimming pool and the beach without sun protection or even use oil to increase the tanning process, when it would be so much easier to stay white. 

What I first thought to be a mere cosmetic issue turned out to be partly rassistic, as I found some disturbing commercials and facts...
On the one hand, I didn't know that black people use whitening creme as well... I watched Tyra Banks on youtube, where a couple Afroamerican women told her about using whitening cremes. One even put bleach on a towel to her face to make it lighter (but it just made her darker). They think lighter-skinned people have a better life, have more dates and are more successful in their professional lifes. What irritates me, is that they discriminate against their own skin color...
On the other hand, there was an Indian commercial which states that a woman with whiter skin gets a better job. I didn't know that rassistic commercials like this exist. I only linked it for reference, I don't want to advertise the commercial and clearly set myself apart from that message. In other countries, you can sue the company for not giving you the job because of racism against color, race and religion and that commercial just shows racism at the highest... I'm appaled!

So I started looking at the effects of whitening or bleaching creme and I found this. Just click if you are capable of seeing burned skin. Some Tanzanian women burned their skin with bleaching creme from the black market. It is quite horrifying...

Skin whitening cremes contain similar ingrediences to the cremes against acne-scars and skin discoloration which makes the skin more sensitive to UV radiation. Taking away the naturally given protection by the skin, skin cancer is more likely to develop. Sometimes, even mercury is used as an ingredient. Some women died because of the resulting kidney failure.

For myself, I've never used any of these products (neither whitening nor tanning cremes) and I won't ever do that. As I was born and raised in Germany, I'm a victim of German beauty standards. I'm quite thankful for that... I don't use sun protection in Germany because I never get sunburned. It would be so much more high maintenance to stay white instead and though I don't take any effort, I'm always darker than my surrounding except of my boyfriend because he's black... so obviously... ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love to read your opinion! :)

Labels

ABDC (4) Alexa Eden (1) apartment (4) Apple (3) Austria (1) Award (1) bachelorette party (2) Balea (3) Ballerina (1) beach (1) Beauty Products (25) Beijing (4) Berlin (1) Bern (1) Body Rock (2) Books (1) Breakdance (2) Bubblegum (1) Business (1) California (2) Camera Stand (1) Candle (1) Catrice (1) China (4) Chinese traditions (3) Circle Lenses (1) Cirque du Soleil (1) Contact Lenses (1) Cupcakes (1) Dance (17) Dessert (4) Deutsch (1) diet (1) DIY (1) DM (1) Dominican Republic (23) drugstore (2) Ebay (2) ELF (1) Empties (2) Essence (2) Essie (1) False lashes (2) Family (2) Fashion (5) flowers (2) Food (28) Fruit (1) funny (1) Geneva (1) Germany (3) Gifts (1) Glamour shopping week (1) Glasses (1) green tea (2) Hair (1) Hamburg (1) Heidelberg (3) Hilty and Bosch (1) Hip Hop (12) Hip Hop International (2) Holidays (1) Hot Pot (1) Hotel (2) How I met yout mother (1) IaMmE (1) iPad (2) iPhone App (1) Jabbawockeez (1) Japan (6) Japanese (1) Jewelry (1) Job Application (6) Kaba Modern (2) Kleiderkreisel (1) Larimar (1) Las Vegas (1) Les Twins (1) Life (43) Locking (3) Lübeck (1) Mac (2) Make-Up (16) Manhattan (1) Mannheim (5) Masks (1) Maybelline (2) Metro (1) Michael Jackson (3) Montreux (4) Music (1) Music Video (1) Musical (1) nailart (3) nailpolish (11) nails (1) New Style (5) Oldschool (3) OPI (1) Outfit (22) P2 (4) Pacman (1) Parfume (1) Parris Goebel (1) Percussion (1) perfume (2) pet (1) Phillip Chbeeb (1) photoshooting (2) Physical Funk (1) Physicists (1) Physics (2) Popping (3) Purse (1) Random (21) rant (4) Reading (1) Recipe (7) Request (1) Restaurant (7) Review (14) Royal Family (1) Running (1) Runtastic (1) S**t Kingz (1) Salsa (3) San Diego (2) Shaun Evaristo (1) Shoes (4) Shopping (32) Skoobe (1) Snacks (2) social media (1) Sorority (1) Sports (1) Subway (1) Sushi (2) Switzerland (6) SYTYCD (1) Tagged (8) Taiwan (9) Taxi (1) Tips and Tricks (1) Tops (2) Transportation (3) Travel (55) TV show (3) USA (8) Vienna (1) Vogue (1) Voguing (1) wedding (10) weight loss (2) Whacking (1) Whitening Creme (1) Zumba (1)